Monday, May 11, 2009

Cleaning: Kitchen

Yes, the kitchen... isn't that everyone's favorite place to clean? Well, I am not a big fan of cleaning the kitchen. My husband loves to cook and that's fine and dandy, but he doesn't love to clean up after himself. So, that leaves me to do the cleaning, because even if he tried, he wouldn't clean it to my standards :)

Here are my kitchen cleaning essentials as of now:

Clorox Green Works Multi-purpose cleaner
Clorox Green Works Floor cleaner
Clorox Green Works wipes
Method Smarty Dish dishwasher tablets
Seventh Generation dishsoap
Bar Keeper's friend (powder and liquid)
Target brand wet mopping cloths
2 bottles of homemade cleaner: multi-purpose and window

As you can see, I love green cleaning supplies (for the most part). I am slowly trying to switch to all green, but it's a little tough when you're on a budget for some things. Occasionally I will mix it up when things are on sale, but my three go to brands are Clorox Green Works, Method, and Seventh Generation.

Here is how it all looks under my sink, where I keep all my supplies:


My cleaning routine is pretty simple-

Daily:
- clean up after every meal (including washing the dishes that need to be hand washed)
- wipe down the stove top and counters each day
- to start the dishwasher right before bed on days it is full

Every Other Day:
- vacuum the floor and rugs every other day

Every Week:
- swiffer wet mop each week
- clean the top of the fridge and microwave range once a week
- clean the sink once a week
- clean the backsplash
- clean out the garbage can

Every Other Week:
- clean out the fridge and freezer every other week (when we go grocery shopping)

Once a Month:
- deep clean the floor (and baseboards) when it starts to look dingy

When I do Spring and Fall cleaning, I will go ahead and clean the insides and outsides of all the windows with my homemade cleaner, take everything out of the cabinets to clean them and restock them, clean the tops of the cabinets, and wash the walls.

To me, the kitchen is the hardest spot to clean because it is a high traffic area in our house... We come in through a small entry that leads into the kitchen. Because of that fact, it is neccessary that I keep the floors clean. I really love the wet mop pads and will use them more than once a week if neccessary, but those suckers are expensive!!

As for the homemade cleaners I have... here are the recipes (which I got online somewhere, but forgot the name of the site):

WINDOW CLEANER: 1/4-1/2 teaspoon liquid detergent, 3 tablespoons vinegar, 2 cups water, and a spray bottle. Put all the ingredients into a spray bottle, shake it up a bit, and use as you would a commercial brand. The soap in this recipe is important. It cuts the wax residue from the commercial brands you might have used in the past. I like to use newspaper when I wash the windows too because it cuts down on streaks and I can recycle it when I am finished.

ALL-PURPOSE SPRAY CLEANER: 1/2 teaspoon washing soda, a dab of liquid soap, and 2 cups hot tap water. Combine the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake until the washing soda has dissolved. Apply and wipe off with a sponge or rag.

Here are some I haven't tried yet, but will in the future:

OVEN CLEANER: 1 cup or more baking soda. water, a squirt or two of liquid detergent. Sprinkle water generously over the bottom of the oven, then cover the grime with enough baking soda that the surface is totally white. Sprinkle some more water over the top. Let the mixture set overnight. You can easily wipe up the grease the next morning because the grime will have loosened. When you have cleaned up the worst of the mess, dab a bit of liquid detergent or soap on a sponge, and wash the remaining residue from the oven. If this recipe doesn't work for you it is probably because you didn't use enough baking soda and/or water.

CREAMY SOFT SCRUBBER: Simply pour about 1/2 cup of baking soda into a bowl, and add enough liquid detergent to make a texture like frosting. Scoop the mixture onto a sponge, and wash the surface. This is the perfect recipe for cleaning the bathtub because it rinses easily and doesn't leave grit. Note: Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable glycerin to the mixture and store in a sealed glass jar, to keep the product moist. Otherwise just make as much as you need at a time.

So, there you have it... the down and dirty on how I go about keeping a clean kitchen. Hopefully it will help some of you out and maybe some of you couild give me pointers as well!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Great post. I started iwth green cleaning not too long ago and am getting adjusted. My swiffers are what I miss the most. =(

You gotta try the soft scrub. It's the best!