Sunday, February 21, 2010

Go Green: Reusable Bottles

Take a close look at these two pictures..... do you notice anything different? (You will have to look carefully)


Did you see anything different?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The first picture is old, so it's not focused on what I want you to see.... but the difference is these babies-
I finally broke down and ordered some more aluminum bottles. In the first pic, the bottom right corner is where we used to keep our bottled water. I know! It's terrible! I really hate to admit this, but I have been a bottled water drinker ever since I can remember. I grew up with well-water, and my parents just hooked up to city water about two years ago. Yes, we had yucky, egg-smelling water at my house. We didn't drink it or cook with it, or even give it to the animals to drink because it smelled so badly. My parents are pretty cheap, so we did keep it to bathe/shower with and for laundry. My Dad still complains about having to pay a water bill now, even after two years.

So, you see, I was used to drinking bottled water... and it was a habit I transferred to my husband. He is addicted to the sugar-free flavor packets that you can put in bottles of water. That is a good thing, though, since when I first met him, he had a terrible Mountain Dew habit-- that is seriously ALL. HE. DRANK. Now all he drinks is grape flavored water... he is hooked on grape right now. Well, we were going through soooooo many bottles of water a week, and even though we recycled the water bottles, and made sure to buy the "we use less plastic" brand, I still felt terrible for using all that plastic.

About a month ago I told Scott we needed to start drinking tap water. I had tried it before (when I was an extremely poor college student living on my own) and I just couldn't do it. The taste was terrible. But this time I figured that since we like to flavor our water, it might be better. Reluctantly, Scott agreed to try it. We found a few water bottles at Target that were .6 L sized- so pretty close to water bottle size that we could use with 1 flavor packet. I already had a 1 L bottle that I use to drink water at work, so we had three total. Scott drinks a lot of water, so he ended up using mine and his during the day, so the rotation was off, so I ended up ordering a few more bottles from Amazon so we have a total of 4 at home, and the 1 I have at work. This seems to be working out well, and since the water is super cold by the time I get it out of the fridge, I barely notice a taste difference. Yay! I feel much better about our water consumption now, plus we have more room in the fridge. :)

2 comments:

etta said...

You have SO much more food in your fridge than we do. Isn't that sad? I cleaned ours out last week and threw out a bunch of old stuff (including beer my husband bought right after we moved in and drank ONE of.. still doesn't notice it's gone). It now looks like we have NO food. Oh well. At least it's clean.

We have quite a collection of water bottles. We have a few Nalgene and other plastic ones. What I notice, though, is that if you leave water in them for a long time or they aren't super dry when you put them away, they have a bit of a taste from then on. Do the aluminum bottles have that?

Melissa said...

I haven't noticed that with aluminum bottles, but when I did try tap water before it was in plastic bottles, and that may have been part of the reason I think it tasted funky.