Monday, February 6, 2012

Adventures in Grommet Land

After quite a bit of searching, I finally found the perfect curtains for our dining room.  Of course, they were a little more than I wanted to spend, but I love paisely and the colors worked well, so I but the bullet and got three (only because I actually had the cash to do so): two panels for the dining room and one for the kitchen (which my mom turned into a cafe curtain).

The  problem- they were hard to open when we needed to let the dogs outside from the dining room.  The blocked the door just enough that every time anyone opened the door, the curtain would get snagged on the door.

I knew that what I needed were grommet panels, but I wasn't able to find any.  I had heard of people who installed grommets on curtain panels themselves, but it appeared complicated.  When I looked into it some more, I realized it might not be as complicated as I thought, so to JoAnn's Fabrics I went, and ended up with these

They ended up only costing $9.74 because I needed to sets, and they were buy one get one half off.  I had them sitting in the office for a long time because I thought the project would take a long time to complete.  I was wrong!

I got started on Sunday morning while Rowan was eating breakfast.  After taking the panels down, I place them on the counter and eyeballed where the grommets would go.

Yup!  Those are plates holding my panel down ;)

Then, I used the template that came with the grommets to draw lines where I needed to cut the fabric.

This was a scary step for me, but after I was finished, I realized it's okay to mark on fabric with permanent marker ;).

After I had all my marks made, I started cutting out the holes.  Easy!  I had a little helper too, so this took me a little while longer than it normally would.

P.S.- That is a felt knife, not a real one!

The grommets come in a set of eight- four backs with four fronts.  Once you cut the holes, you just place a "back" on the bottom portion, and the "top" snaps right on it!

And that was it!  Super easy, and I wish I had done it sooner.  Now we can slide the curtains over and open the door without the curtain sliding back in front of the door!  

In total, this project cost $19.98 and twenty mintues.  My panels ended up costing $39.69 each, but since I don't change out curtains frequently, I think it's a pretty good deal.  

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I've always been a bit scared of grommets. I actually have a set that I was planning to use for a project and chickened out. You make it look simpler than I ever expected.