Monday, April 23, 2012

Organization Challenge: The Spare Room


Yes, I am a week late, but I couldn't help it.  I have been spending a lot of time with  my funny baby girl.  I just love her.

But, I got to work and we both organized the rest of the spare room up.  There were three areas that I focused on- the ottoman, the futon, and the nightstand.

Before: the ottoman that USED to hold our DVDs in small plastic holders is now living in the spare room, and I wanted to use it for extra linens.  However, at this time, we don't really have any of those (you'll see why in a minute).



After: I just needed to clear it out of Rowan's too small clothes, and fold a few items.  I bagged up Rowan's "keep" clothes to put in a tote, and then bagged up her "sell" clothes to take to the consignment shop.


Next up, the futon.  I love this thing...  it lived at my parents' house for a while when we lived in the small house, but now we have it back.  This is where guests stay (my nieces and sister) when they come over.  It folds out into a full sized bed and there is a space underneath for storage.


After: I made sure we had the sheets folded, the blankets, and pillows.  All of our guest linens fit underneath, so I didn't need to use the ottoman for any extras.


Last, I tackled the nightstand.  This hasn't been used in YEARS- probably about 8 years to be exact.  Scott scratched it up when we did use it, and it still had the old handles that were changed out on our other furniture 8 years ago.  I don't have a before picture of the open drawers, but believe me, they were terrible!


After: I FINALLY replaced the handles to match the other furniture (that is in our bedroom), and Scott and I worked on clearing out some junk.  We are still using these drawers to hold our "childhood" memories for now until I figure out a better place to put those.

After- my drawer is obviously cleaner than Scott's ;)

With new handles

So, there it is- the finished, organized spare room.

1 comment:

Liesl said...

That futon might just be the coolest thing I have ever seen! It is stylish, functional and a bed with storage...WOW, my mind is blown! :) I have that same ottoman and love it, just organized mine today! Loved this post! :)