Monday, December 31, 2012

Living Room: Changes Coming!

I have been itching to do a little redecorating lately, and I have my eye on the living room.  When we moved here, I really wanted to keep our current decor in the living room.


See those curtains?  I got them at Peir 1 a long time ago, but they only had one set.  I scoured ebay and craigslist for about a year before I found another set...  and I vowed I would keep them forever.  My mom lovingly made those two throw pillows on the couch, and I got the chair pillow for a steal.  While we upgraded the rug a while ago to this beauty from RugsUSA, the rest of the room is basically the same (oh, wait, except for massive amounts of toys for a certain two-year-old).

Yet...  I really don't like the red anymore.  That hurts to say (in a way).  I have had red accents in the living room for the last seven (or more) years, and it's just getting old to the eye.  In our first home, we had a red wall, too, that you can kind of make out in this picture:


Somehow, in this room, with the light tan/yellow walls, everything worked.  Now that we chose to go with brown and tan in our new living room, I just want a change.  It may just be the wall color, but I think the red has paid its dues as well.  What do you think?

So, after looking on pinterest for days for a while, I think I have finally figured out something fresh and different for us. My inspiration?  Ta-da!

photo credit
I really like the clean, airy look of the light bluish/grey walls with navy, yellow, and grey accents.  And we already have a khaki couch!  Love!

I have pinned so many wonderful accents to my living room board, but a few of my favorite pieces are this pillow from etsy


and this lamp shade from Target.


While redecorating rooms is not in the budget right now, I did tell my family that anything on my pinterest board would be welcome as birthday presents :).  My sister got me the lamp shade for Christmas, so hopefully some of the rest will make it here for my birthday, or I can save up my monthly spending money for the rest.  There aren't that many things I would like to make this change, and I think paint and curtains will do a lot of it.  It would be super sweet if Scott would paint the room for me when he is off (hint hint) and I am at work...  we'll see.  That would be an amazing birthday present for this girl!  Maybe in the next few months, I will be able to show an updated living room!

2 comments:

born ambitious. born imaginative. said...

I am a big fan of Navy blue too. :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I adore your inspiration image. It's one of my favorites. Can't wait to see this come together.