Monday, January 21, 2013

Weight Watchers Journey: Part 1

Credit

After much deliberation (probably two years worth or more) I finally gave in and joined WW in late October. I really hate paying for a service to lose weight I shouldn't have gained in the first place, but nothing else was working, so damn it, I just caved.

When I first started, I did lose some weight, but then I kind of slacked off because the holidays were coming, I was trying to get things ready for Rowan's birthday, and well, life happened.  Then, I gained back all the weight I had lost (which was maybe five pounds) and then some.  I was officially the heavest weight I've ever been (except for being pregnant).  I felt awful.  I kept hearing stories about other people who were losing weight with surgery, low-carb diets, food programs, or going to the gym religiously.  Those just aren't for me. I love carbs, cannot afford those high-dollar food services, wouldn't stick with them once I lost the weight, and have almost no time to go to the gym.  I don't think I would qualify for weight loss surgery, and I really want to do this myself.  I've always known the only thing that will work for me is portion control and self-control.  So, WW was it.

With WW, I know the portions I am eating are the right size for me, it forces me not to over-eat (which I am REALLY good at!), and hold me accountable when I don't meet my goal.  Obviously, if you don't follow the alloted points, you will not lose weight!

After talking with a good friend on the way up to Ikea and back after Christmas, and hearing how her doctor told her she is pre-diabetic, it really sunk in that I could be in her same situation.  The last few times at the doctor, my blood pressure had been close to high, and both my parents have been on blood pressure medcati and are diabetic.  We are pretty sure it's due to weight since my Mom has been taken off some of her medication after she lost weight.  I do not want to have to take medication.

I was so lucky not to have gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, and next time we decide to have a baby, I would rather not have GD either.  I also don't want to be on blood pressure meds.  I know all I have to do is lose weight and exercise (aka be healthy), so I needed to do something.  At this time, I am not going to the gym.  I have a treadmill at home, and I would like to start using that, but I need to figure out a schedule for doing so.  I wish I had a job that didn't require meetings, etc. after work, or that didn't require take home work, but mine does.  I love my job, and I don't want to give up what I do for my students, so I just need to figure out how to work exercise into my current schedule.

So, the last week in December I started using the WW app on my phone, as well as the scanner app to help me figue out point values of things we currently eat.  We eat pretty healthy food, but my issue is that I eat TOO much of it.  My poor huby is one of those men who is CONSTANTLY hungry, eats all day and almost all night, and has only gained ten pounds since I've known him.  REally, he complained yesterday that his size 30 pants were falling off of him, telling me to remind him to wear a belt... I wanted to hurt him badly.

Gosh, this post is getting rather long.  Sorry.  What I mean to say is I want to be healthy for me and my family, I want to lose weight (my goal is at least eighty pounds), and I have lost ten so far.  So, I will be sharing my successes, recipes I have found that are delicious, and hopefully help others along the way if they are going through the same battle.  Hopefully by next January, I will be able to feel good about my health.  I am really hoping my skin will stretch back as much as possible, but after having Rowan, I am not so sure what my stomach will look like :/.

So, there is is.  I will hopefully put up a few good recipes this week for you to enjoy- even if you aren't counting points/calories!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I've been thinking about joining WW lately.....I need the accountability. Good luck to you!