First, the dining room table still needs to be painted and stained. So while the items are useable, the project is not "closed." It doesn't bother me too much since I know it will get finished, and it is not a pressing matter.
Second, I wanted to make an upholstered headboard for our new bed, and when I was browsing craigslist last week, I found that someone was trying to sell one they had already made... cha-ching! Less work for us, and this one had a metal frame, which would be sturdier than the wood one we were thinking of building. All I needed to do was re-cover it! After I knew we would be picking it up this weekend, I browsed a few places for material, but ended up finding a great panel curtain on clearance at Target that looked exactly like the material I had been searching for! Cha-ching #2! Late Saturday night after finishing up the door (we'll get to that in a minute), we re-coverd the headboard and secured the frame a bit more. Love!
The before was a little bold!
But I think the after is perfect for our room! I love it!
The third (and biggest) project of the weekend was Rowan's new closet door. After much consideration, we decided to swtich out the secondary bedroom, foyer, and pantry bi-fold closet doors for regular doors. I really want to use the backs of the doors for storage or full-size mirrors, so it was a no-brainer. Since we want Rowan's big girl room to be DONE, we decided to change the door now. What was difficult was deciding what KIND of door to get and what COLOR. We'd been thinking about it for a while, and I really want to paint our trim white. I figured we would start in Rowan's room, and since we were getting her a new door, we got an unfinished one. That means all her trim will need to be painted before she moves in as well. Ugh. Anyway, we ended up with a six panel sold wood door. Solid wood was a no-brainer for us as well; we want the best sound barrier and the ability to secure things into the door with ease, so composite and hollow-core weren't for us. We really wanted a two panel door like we had at our first home, but it was a $250 difference!!! Yikes! So, that solidified the six-panel for us. Eventually, we will replace all the doors in the house with this same style, so this was a huge decision. We also picked out new door hardware since that one will set the tone for those to follow. Lots of decisions here, people!
The mess in progress:
This was our longest project this weekend. Scott still needs to mesh and mud around the frame so we can put the painted (when I get to it) trim back on, and then he will paint the door. I really like how it's turning out so far! I'm not sure we are going to meet our end of the month deadline for Rowan's new room, but I am still hopeful!
The last weekend project is an update about the living room. I had ordered two pillow covers about a month ago from KainKain on etsy, and since they are made in Indonesia, they just came Saturday. I love them!! It was a little dark when I took this pic, but in the pillow on the right, there is a little yellow bird on the end of the grass. Cute!
Whew! Maybe next weekend we can relax a little bit :).