Saturday, May 18, 2013

Our Yard: Befores and Afters

I LOVE all the space in our yard, and while it was mostly newly landscaped (edging and rocks put in) when we bought it, it did need some sprucing up.  Last year, I showed you this transformation of the front section of landscaping and a few new added bushes.

Since last summer, many of the plants have grown in quite a bit, and the new deck has really improved our outdoor usage.  I am so torn about fencing.  I really don't want a fence because it would obstruct the view of the woods and field behind and next to our house.  Our only neighbors have a fence, but it is literally falling over.  I've been thinking about adding tall hedges to that side, but when the occasional stray dog wanders in the yard, I wonder if we should put in a low fence like we had at our first home.  We'll see- maybe in a few years.

First, I want to make sure the landscaping is pretty :).  So, here are some befores and afters

The Front

Last Spring

Last Summer

This Spring

The grass looks better, and I planted some bushes instead of having a garden of potted plants :).  


One of our corner pine trees fell over due to the weight of the snow this past winter.  I was really sad at first, but I actually like the house better without it!  


And my potted plants have new homes on the sides of the garage door.

Last Summer

This Spring

These bushes have started to grow in a little!  We had some of the same ones at our first home, so these remind me of them :).

The Sides

Last Summer

This Spring

Different angle, but the ONE bush I planted looks nice, and we cut out the obnoxious ones on the far corner.


The other side isn't a huge difference.  I am not sure if I should take out some of these plants or not :(.  They look so full, and I would hate to kill them.  

The Back

Last Summer

This Spring



Definitely the biggest difference.  The deck was built in the fall and we didn't get to use it much, but I am anticipating lots of time on the deck this summer!  We have a lot of potted plants on the decks, both small and large, but I didn't get any pics yet.  We also have our koi pond on order, and it should be here in the next few days.  Scott can't wait to get that puppy in!  We've had the hole for it for over a year!  I am sure our giant fish will appreciate a bigger home :).  

Well, that is our yard for now!  I hope it keeps getting better!



No comments: